Hotpants and Heartbreak

Thursday 5 February 2009

Snow

Q: What do the party people do on a snow day?
A: Toboggan, of course!

It appears that the entire country has come to a standstill over a few inches of snow, and I for one am not complaining. I do understand that many people were unable to reach work/home/emergency food supplies, but for students, snow means snow day, and snow day means serious fun.
Of course, I only found out about the snow day after trekking half way to college, at which point I checked my phone, only to find 7 messages on my phone, all along the lines of:
‘F, do NOT go to school! It is closed! And for God’s sake, will you please check your phone more often?!?!’
Smooth.

The plan from there was very simple- run home, quickly change into warm (but causally suggestive) clothes, meet my current squeeze in town, and head for the park. It is unspoken law in our town that all students gravitate to the park on a snow day- nobody knows why, but it has been that way for as long as anyone can remember. Really, I should have thought of this before I agreed to meet my best friends, H and J, in the park- of course, amidst the seas of students snuggling/tobogganing/snuggling for warmth, there was absolutely no sign of them. H didn’t help; when I tried to call her, she simply exclaimed ‘But I’m HERE!’ and hung up.
Being stranded in the park is not the best of situations; there were literally hundreds of kids there, all slightly hyperactive, and looking for someone to hurl ice balls at. Needless to say, a bunch of particularly evil looking kids (who I saw previously head butt a snowman) took a bit of a disliking to us. Despite selfishly using my squeeze as a human shield, I still got hit in the side of the head, which is currently quite puffy, and makes my face look kind of uneven. Not only that, but I’m not a huge fan of snow- don’t get me wrong, it looks pretty, and seems to make everyone regress to childhood. But it always makes my various coughs and colds ten times worse, and is not eyeliner-friendly, which puts it in my bad books.
Luckily, we did eventually manage to find them before we froze to death. It took us less than an hour to realise that as fun as sledging in the park was, we couldn’t feel any of our extremities, so we all headed back to someone’s house. A little bit wussy, admittedly, but it meant I got to spend most of the snow day under a blanket in someone’s living room with my current squeeze. After all, having a boy keep me warm is exponentially more fun that getting ice pelted at my head…

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home